The Crow's Nest

I can’t believe how fast time flies by. It’s been almost a month since I last wrote. I would like to blame it on busyness with garden produce and such, but the truth is plain old procrastination sets in.

The orioles are still here feeding on homemade grape jelly. I checked the grapevines yesterday and they are loaded with grapes ready to start ripening. It has been fun watching the MALE orioles teach the baby orioles how to perch on the jelly dish and eat. The father’s are very patient with the little ones as they try to feed.

We spent a week at the lakes in Minnesota. There is absolutely nothing more relaxing. I loved lying in the hammock listening to the loons on Horseshoe Lake. We came home to a garden bursting at the seams with produce ready to harvest. Chuck planted haricot verts (a fancy name for green beans). They are a long, slim French filet type of bean. SO DELICIOUS! One of my favorite rituals is slicing that first cucumber and putting cider vinegar on it. Wow, how I look forward to that wonderful taste. We are enjoying new potatoes----creamed of course.

Mountain had their August the Deuce celebration last weekend. The Olafson family had a big family reunion. Mike Olafson was in charge. Angie, owner of Norby’s Diner catered 2 meals for them. Mike said the food was just wonderful.

It is so great having the diner in town. Angie is always cheerful and is full of innovative ideas. After the street dance the night of the ATV Mud Run Angie had the café open from midnight to 2 AM for breakfast. I understand she served about 75 people-------and most of them ordered omelets!! Can you imagine? Then the next morning (Sunday) she had the regular smorgasbord. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Lots of people are enjoying vacation time. Rod and Jan Nygard are in Norway visiting relatives. Greg and Ruth Hall are at the lakes and Chris and Marjean Green were here for a few days visiting from New York City. The class of 1995 had a reunion last weekend. I understand they had a good turnout. I KNOW they had a good time. My nephew, John Monson flew in from Carson City, NV. It was great seeing him. John will be a new dad in December.

I am trying to concentrate and all I hear is “banging” outside my window. Chuck and our 2 sons are re-siding our house. I secretly emailed my boys asking them if they could come and help their dad. They drove all night from Kansas City and are busy helping. I will use any excuse to see my kids.

Tomorrow morning is the city wide garage sale. Our garage is filled with items ready for those early morning shoppers. Ron & Sandi Ulberg, Diane (Ulberg) Samuelson and her daughter Kelly are here getting Marvin and Effie’s house ready to be sold. They are also participating in the yard sale. Effie did not come up from St Paul this time as it is very difficult and sad having household items sold that were part of her Edinburg living experience for 65 years.

Just around the corner: I am going to New York City over Labor Day with my daughter, Kris and Kris’ mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I really am looking forward to the trip. We will see a couple of Broadway shows and I suppose shop. We have a suite at the Waldorf Astoria. Can’t get any better than that!! Talk to you later.


Go to The Crow's Nest Archive

August 5, 2005

Crow's Nest Logo

Thoughts for the Day

Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut saves you thirty cents?

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach them to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

TOP GARDENING RULE: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it was a valuable plant.

courtesy of my good friend, Lois Barnes from Texas.